For clarification, spoiler avoidance, or if you're just new here, CLICK BELOW for the first post:

Breath of the Wild ~ a Log / CONTENTS [[+Artwork]]

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Beyond Whistling Hill


Waking of Saturday, May 27, 2017



From the Riverside Stable I wandered into the dangerous central plains just to scope out a place called Whistling Hill. That was a cool name, I thought.
It was only a short distance away, but, ever wary, I crouched almost the entire way up there. But there were just a few birds and a copse of trees.
A wicked-looking spot to the north caught my eye; seemed to be a nest of baddies. As long as I was out here, thought I’d scope it out too.... until I saw the Guardian creeping around the top of that hill.
I reversed course immediately, crouching slowly back through the tall grass....
But what made me keep going?
Why did I decide to crouch further into the field?
Maybe I just wanted to see how far I could get.
I crouched through the entire field, marking the places where Guardians lurked on my map, and skirting wide around them.
I made it all the way to a place called the Sacred Ground Ruins.
David was right—there was a memory here!
I’ve been wont to take self-portraits at these places.... though there wasn’t a lot of time to finesse my composition this time. I don’t suppose I mind the targeting laser on my arm in this one....

The sun shone in my memory.
Princess Zelda, in a beautiful blue dress with golden trim—reminiscent of my sword sheath, really—stood and prayed with her right hand outstretched, palm toward me as I knelt in the center of the ornately carved stonework, in the middle of the Sacred Ground.
The Champions stood nearby.
Zelda’s words seemed almost recited. Link, Hero of Hyrule, you have proven yourself worthy of the Master Sword.... whether skyward bound, adrift in time or steeped in the glowing embers of twilight, the sword with the power to banish evil is bound to the spirit of the Hero.... May you both grow stronger together.... Some such words.
“Well this is uplifting,” the Goron rumbled. That must have been Daruk. “She’s making it sound like we already lost!”
“You’re the one who suggested we appoint the chosen knight in this ceremony with all this pomp!” or some such words from the bird-man, the Rito. He had a voice like a well-polished rapier, and his blue-grey plumage lay brushed back from his face in three elegant crests. “I think I’m on the same page as the princess regarding.... this boy.”
“Give it a rest,” said the Gerudo. Her eyes were strikingly green. And she looked so strong for a woman.... “That boy is a living reminder of her own failures.”
Mipha was there, too. But she didn’t say anything.
“At least, that’s how she sees him,” the Gerudo finished.
Princess Zelda’s failures?
Me?
What did it mean?

I re-entered the present, and ducked beneath the stonework just in time. Peering up over the edge, I could still see the Guardian glowing an angry red and pacing back and forth beyond the trees to the north.
“Oh geez that thing’s agitated....” I muttered.
After it calmed down, I just crept closer to the castle, chucking bombs at another Guardian over the old city wall, and chewing on my thoughts....
What did it mean?
And that other shrine glimmered in the distance.... far to the east....
What did it mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment