For clarification, spoiler avoidance, or if you're just new here, CLICK BELOW for the first post:

Breath of the Wild ~ a Log / CONTENTS [[+Artwork]]

Sunday, July 29, 2018

Colossal


Waking of Saturday, January 27, 2018 ~ 2



I made sure to change back into my winter garb before I spoke to the monk. And when I exited the shrine of Kema Kosassa . . . . the sun was shining.
The storm had passed, and the cracked snowfield shone brilliant in the daylight.
And according to my map, the Eighth Heroine stood just on the other side of the mountain, off the northern edge of the saddle snowfield.
But she was missing something, some aspect that the other seven had, according to the topo: two little jutting points off the tip of the triangle of her aerial silhouette.... I guessed I’d just see it when I got there.
I tried to climb higher for my approach, but as I scaled the western steps the wind came back, blustering the world into grey once more. A few Ice Keese came out to sport, and I was happy to collect their wings (the Great Fairies would find them useful in upgrading my clothes), but when I reached the last wall of the very highest western plateau of all the Gerudo Highlands, and tried to climb it—
That prohibiting chime.
And—

You can’t go any farther.

Huh.
I was still at an uneven, skewed edge, misaligned from the cardinal directions.
So the map was not truly rectangular after all.

Part of me.... kind of liked that. c:

It was all right; I continued northward and eventually the winds died down. And it was awful tricky out along the sheer rock walls as the shelves for my footing wore down to narrow ledges.... but the pictograph I captured of the colossal Eighth Heroine was excellent.
I begged her pardon as I paraglided over and climbed back up her person and ran around on her outstretched arms—it was the best way to regain the snowfield, and.... I like to climb on rocks.
And back up on top I immediately gave in to the temptation of a treasure chest tightly encompassed by no fewer than six baby Talus Pebblits.
I was rewarded for my persistence with a METEOR ROD, which I had never heard of before! It was powerful! 8D
The encounter had only slightly frayed my patience.... I wanted to continue to the peak east of the snowfield saddle, but the way between was thick with enemies. I didn’t want to deal with any of them, least of all that cluster of Bokoblins near the most obvious and accessible slope.
And so it was back to the western steps for a new approach. I climbed until I could climb no further, by which time the pretextual blizzard returned—this made it difficult to determine the optimum paragliding trajectory over the snowfield.... but my HUD was enough for that. It still functioned here.
I lined myself up as best as I could manage, and took a flying leap toward the slope I could not see....
The air cleared about halfway over, and I only needed a little correction. But aside from this my solution proved to be most effective! ^_^ Leaving camps of Bokoblins and multitudes of crouching Lizalfos in the dust, I hurried up the slope to the clear, bald top of Gerudo Summit where everything was open and the blue sky was so big....
Aaaand promptly turned around and ran back the other way when I saw that prowling equine silhouette.
The Lynel didn’t see me, but I could hear it roaring as I skirted about the edges of the peak. Thank goodness the cap was so rounded—there was so little to hide behind up here; the extra horizons were most welcome.
I came behind the single, house-sized butte on the peak that could offer sufficient cover—and laid my eyes on the most abrupt spectacle: a browned and weathered sword-hilt made of stone, jutting up from a deep crack in the rounded snowcap. It was about forty times the size of life.
I peeked over the edge of the little gorge; a Moblin snoozed before the spot where the giant blade was plunged into the earth.
Hhhhrm I didn’t want to deal with him just then.
But that Lynel....
This was the high haunt of Farosh. I might get scales or hornshards here.... But I wouldn’t be able to move freely with that Lynel in the way....
A White Lynel. The most powerful according to my Compendium.
Never faced one of those before.
....
No time like the present.
I camped atop the little butte, just far back enough to be out of sight. The high, rushing winds made Bomb Golf somewhat impractical, and so I switched to strong bows and specialty arrows. Still, the monster wandered where he would, and over distance my aim was weak. It was more a matter of persistence than patience, with the Lynel. I could sometimes pique his curiosity to draw him in by showing my head and tempting his terrible question-mark-thermometer before ducking down again. But he did not always come by me as the Molduga had. And once, getting wise, he came too close—and I found myself pinned down in my only retreat, which had been discovered from the desperation of the moment: clinging still and silent to the backside of the frozen butte while the monster surveyed the top.... until he finally wandered back down into his snowy field, and I could hunt him again.
In the end, busting Duplex Bows and with nothing but fletched wooden shafts to my name, I brought him down. And it was the first time among the bits left over that I was rewarded with Lynel Guts. They were quite.... colorful as I recall.
And then the run of the Dragon’s Nest was mine.
....For the moment anyway; I did not think I would be able to abide a Blood Moon up here.
I ran around and found the landscape to be more crowded than I had expected, with Pebblits, Octoroks, and un-Magnesable treasure chests. But these were paltry hurdles to clear for the ranging over of my prize.
There was a terrific gash carved across the summit, so big it registered on my topo. Ice and stone lay in broken slabs about it and scattered along its bottom. I wondered if Farosh had done that with his passing.... just scratched it right into the mountaintop. By the look of him he’d certainly be capable of such a feat. And at the end of another such depression, that giant sword stuck in the earth.
I crept up easily on the Moblin as he dozed, and sneakstruck him in the back.
I really do love that feature. X3
But one thing I have noticed about the really tough enemies.... is that one sneakstrike will not always bring them down. :c
But I put as hefty a dent as was possible in his health meter in one go for the opening salvo, and that was good enough to go on for the moment. A few more hits and he was down, and I was free to regard the giant sword.
It stood at an angle, and, in a most artistic juxtaposition, a regular-sized sword stood plunged into the snow at a mirrored angle, just before its base. Maybe the Moblin had been guarding it, or admiring it.
It was some beautiful thing with a shining golden hilt.... Gerudo I think....
But I had no room for it in my inventory.

I really.... really did need to see Mr. Hestu again.

In due course Farosh returned and I claimed a shard of his horn and sent him spiraling back into the heavens—so close now....
After this I knew it could be days before he’d make another appearance, and so set out to explore what remained to be explored. And in running all over the rest of the mountaintop, dodging Pebblits through the gouge like TIE Fighters in the Death Star’s channel, I gave in to my own peer pressure and simply demonstrated for David what the un-Magnesable chests were.... Ah I am too impatient....
As I checked my map to be sure I had swept over everything of at least visible interest, I spied a Korok circle down off the summit on the other side, the northern side. It sat low on a long plateau, with no small amount of topo lines in between. Very close laterally, but much farther away in terms of elevation. But the Kema Kosassa Shrine was enough to get me back if I wanted.
I stepped to the edge of the snowcap....
Hhhhh, there was always a hesitance. No, there was sometimes a hesitance.

You can’t fly and stay King of the Mountain.

In a wrenching jump my boots parted company with the Dragon’s Nest and I sailed down over the white northern ranges descending in rocky cascades all below me, the low plateau stretching ahead for all the world like Bright Angel Trail beyond Indian Gardens....

That freaking Korok was so much trouble....
I’ll give you a hint: No, you can’t carry the rock up that hill.

The last thing I regarded about the mountain was something I thought I had seen before, though I couldn’t remember when: Carved into the north face of the bare red rock was a large, four-pointed symbol of some kind—a lightning motif.
I was closer than I’d ever been to it. But.... I was tired. I would hike to it another time.
Instead I warped to Kakariko, and Cotera’s spring, where—wouldn’t you know it—the guts and hooves and horns I had recently taken from the Lynel came in handy in upgrading my Barbarian Helm! In fact I was able to upgrade a whole lot of clothes....
I guessed I had amassed quite a few extra materials since the last time I’d seen a Great Fairy.

2 comments:

  1. Hello! Yes you did mention that conundrum before in regards to needing to kill the awful things to get weapons to help you kill the awful things. However the ones in the outer world do have a weakness the ones in shrines don't ;). I look forward to seeing the trick for getting ancient materials. (And congrats on your Divine Beast win! That was the most annoying one just to get into for me, I suck at aiming arrows)

    On to the current entry,
    I've never managed to get towards the edge of the map quite yet, of course I also haven't really tried or ran around that specific area much. I'm currently shrine hunting (I've completed 84 of them so far!) And I am definitely going to have to go find that chest to see what a meteor rod does, it sounds very interesting. I haven't killed a Lynel yet, it's the only mini-boss left on my list to figure out.
    Also I am so jealous that you managed to get a shard of Farosh's horn! I keep trying like crazy but I always miss the horn and just get scales.
    As always I wish you the best and look forward to seeing what happens next in this wonderful tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh is it the Ancient Arrows? I remember trying an Ancient Arrow on a Shrine-crawly one time and UHHH? It didn't work! D: DRAT those Shrine Scouts! XD Haha, and if you ever want the Ancient materials hint early, don't hesitate to ask! XD And Thank you! :D OH MY GOSH it was so hard to do.... ah, I'd better not get into it here though.... need to save my words for the log. XD XD

      Heh, I'm one of those players that likes to find the boundaries.... even though I know I can't go forever, I always just feel so hungry for *more*.... Lol but I'm sure you've caught that from reading. XD

      Shrine hunting is my brother's favorite; he's always bragging about how many more shrines he has than me. To which I always retort that I have way more Korok seeds than he does. AND Zora pants. XD

      Seriously, if you just *talk* to the characters in the game....!

      And OH MY GOSH the Meteor Rod.... I got into a tussle with a Yiga on the road once, in between some really big rocks, and I'm PRETTY SURE I almost killed myself by employing the Meteor Rod a little too much. D8 But at least I got the Yiga! ^_^ As for the Lynels, you could always try Bomb Golfing! It takes forever, but it doesn't cost anything, and it does work. ;)

      The best place I've found for taking shots at Farosh's horn (so far anyway) is the south tower of the Great Bridge of Hylia. If you've been able to break into Vah Ruta.... you can *totally* get some hornshards from Farosh! ^_^ You can do it! ^_^

      And as always from me, Thank you for stopping by to read and comment! It means the world to me! ^__^

      Delete