For clarification, spoiler avoidance, or if you're just new here, CLICK BELOW for the first post:

Breath of the Wild ~ a Log / CONTENTS [[+Artwork]]

Friday, December 31, 2021

Maybe the Front Porch

Friday, May 10, 2019 ~ 4


Maybe the Front Porch


Oh gosh where would I pick up....

Okay last autosave.

Please be outside the threshold....


Okay.


I was standing outside the Sanctum. In my Climber’s Gear.


This was. Okay.


Oh my gosh I needed a breath of some real fresh air.


Okay.


Let me think....


No shrines in those upper reaches of the tallest towers. My hopes were beginning to wear thin.

I paraglided off the central Castle and onto the southeast pillar, considering.

Those guard houses maybe.... Maybe? I’d not gone into those....

This whole time I had been combing the Castle from the bottom up. But now, I’d try the closest guard house to the Castle’s front door. I was already pretty high up. I’d try combing top to bottom.

I floated down....

This was the guard house on top of which I’d found a Korok last time.

Bloody turrets....

I hunkered down on a battlement where I could safely see inside an upper window. The interior was thick with Malice and I was pretty sure I could see a mouth. Once I got inside, it would probably start spitting things at me. There were two eyeballs glopped onto the ceiling, but.... they wouldn’t open, no matter how close I got to them, how visible I made myself through the windows.... I would have to—

We’ll see....

I dropped down inside.

....

Okay.

The Second Gatehouse as it was called....

I shot the Malice eyeballs. As I suspected they hadn’t opened until I’d dropped in from the window and hit the central floor.

Also, the portcullises slammed shut.

And the dang little cursed skullheaded things came floating after me—a couple of ‘em had gotten out before I was able to dispel the Malice.

Also, Daruk went off.

And of course he yelled and everything, but that.... sounded like a bigger hit than normal.

And then I turned around and there was a White-Maned Lynel inside with me.


Oh.


One cursed Stalmoblin was still gumming after me.

I killed it.

And.... Then the Lynel beat me up.

For a while.

Oh. The sounds Link made.

Horrible choking gasps....

But I collected myself, got to my feet, replenished my health, and gave the Lynel what for. With the Master Sword.

And then he was dead, and I had his stuff. And another treasure chest with three Ancient Arrows.

My gosh, you think maybe the game is hinting at something?

I always considered my Ancient Arrows too precious and rare to use, but they were certainly as good as growing on trees around here....

However.... that was a different matter.

I didn’t think there was a Shrine here.

....

Dratblast it, if I couldn’t find another one on the Castle Grounds....

....

Where could it be?


....


I wondered if I could run to the First Gatehouse; there was surely something just as fearsome in there, and that attack meal I’d eaten was still in effect. For like two more minutes.

I ran.

Not like me, I knew. The Creeping Mouse, ever cautious. Not like me at all. But it would be a shame to let that attack meal go to waste....

Out in the exposed dun and grey, as I pounded over the dust with no walls around me, two lasers settled onto my back.

They seemed to come from either side.... maybe turrets posted about the Gatehouse entrance behind me.

The angle between the lasers tightened as I increased the distance between myself and my assailants.... but it was not yet so skinny that—

The lasers flickered, strobed, beeped

I skidded and rebounded off the dirt, doubling back right as the lasers fired.

The blue-white bolts skimmed my shoulders and their combined blasts went off right in front of me.

Rebounding once more, I pressed forward again, through the vestigial smoke and heat—the path had been clear for a good length ahead; I could still run all-out and be fine—

For a while.

I pelted out of the haze and considered the remaining road between me and the other Gatehouse. Another moment and a tall, horny barrier of Malice would give me trouble.

The lasers came back. The angle was too tight to double back between them now.

Be-be-be-be-beee!

I dashed to the side this time, veering in a hard right angle off to the left; the lasers once again exploded where I had been about to step.

And I was running again. I could see the eyeball. Right in the thick of it. Had to be the one. But.... bad angle. The Malace wall veered, and the eyeball was somewhat secluded, drawn back and hugging toward the right, facing toward the left. And I wasn’t quite close enough that I was confident I’d be able to land an arrow on the first try. Just a few more paces.... Though it was dangerous to prolong the attempt....

I sprinted until I came near enough to the Malice obstruction, drew my bow—already the lasers were

They got me this time, just after I shot the eyeball.

Get up get up get up.... The Malice was disintegrating. Still, I thought.... no sense wasting the smoldering fireball engulfing me. I jumped, whipped out my paraglider, and rode the updraft from the lingering fire, sailing over the last wisps of the vanishing barrier, toward the other Gatehouse.... out of range. Good.

I touched down safely and ducked beside the stone entrance. No Guardians could see me here.

Now.... What could be in here....?

I peeked in the entrance of the First Gatehouse and saw the Malice Mouth directly above me. It remained dormant, only pulsing and wiggling every now and again with no prey yet trapped in the room.

The time-limit of the Attack effect from that last meal was still counting down. I decided I would dash to the other side, and I did. And down came.... as if from the ceiling....

Heh, I’d hoped it would be you.

Blue Lynel.

The kind against which I’d never gotten to test my mettle.

But I did here. And I was collected. And I dodged his attacks, and flurry rushed him many times.... Until the dang cursed Stalmoblin caught up with me.

But I put it down soon enough and finished off the Lynel. And then shot the eyeball. And then killed the remaining two cursed Stalmoblins.

And the First Gatehouse seemed to be mine. What was in this chest....?

Ten Bomb Arrows. Not bad! :)

Found five more in a chest on the roof.

Aaaaand... A Korok on top of the spire. Just as I expected! I thought in Lloyd Irving’s voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment