For clarification, spoiler avoidance, or if you're just new here, CLICK BELOW for the first post:

Breath of the Wild ~ a Log / CONTENTS [[+Artwork]]

Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Owa Daim Elusive


Waking of Sunday, January 6, 2019 ~ 5



The main control unit of Divine Beast Vah Medoh was situated up on the broad, mossy back of the bird, right in the center of the torso. These topmost bulkheads, open to the sky, were generally flat and level but for a step or two up or down between the different body segments. And there were fans set into the floor—huge, grated fans that generated terrific updrafts.
I had explored up here during my searching for the terminals, but there hadn’t been much more to find except a bit more Malice and a few more chests. No, this was to be the arena.
All along the mossy top of the entire wingspan was a weathered old parade of crumbling stone columns, cubicle, seamed, and cracked. Their broad, patchy arrangement seemed to indicate there may have been more of them at some point, but.... open to the elements, I could see how some of them could have been lost over time. They couldn’t be Stasised and they weren’t Magnesable, but they looked like they could provide good, albeit rapidly expendable cover....
There didn’t seem to be anything especially damaging to bump into out here....
I had just imagined so many times: if I were to design a boss-fight based on the Stasising ability of Monk Owa Daim, I would have made it a mad game of toro, playing chicken with the devil, Stasising him right before he collided, and then quickly dropping out of the way, leaving him to plow into whatever damaging hazard you were previously blocking.
But the environment seemed benign here....
But then, so had been the environments in other Divine Beasts; maybe the blighting Calamity would provide the hazard....
But I did not think overly much of this as I made my way up to the main control unit. The music was strung so tightly now, pulling through my core like an aching sinew.
I placed the Slate against the control unit, heard the clack of contact, and—there was not much hesitance this time before RHOOOSH! Up swirled the monster....
I watched this one’s proportions carefully as it coalesced into its hideous, dripping-magenta self.... Its arms were definitely larger....
Larger like Rito wings....
“Be careful, Link!” Revali’s voice sounded, “That monstrosity is one of Ganon’s own. Don’t let it defeat you! It defeated me 100 years ago, but only because I was winging it.”
For the first time, the rapier seemed to waver, its sheen revealing a desperate dinge as I heard the regret in his voice.
“Its aim is dead-on. Watch yourself!”
But Windblight Ganon, I found.... did not lead his target.
What lessons the humble Octorok could teach.
I only ran to avoid the monster’s projectiles, and cast Bomb Arrows back where I could. And whenever I did down him for a moment, it was difficult to get close enough to have it out with my blade. The length, the space.... it was all so much bigger and stretched out, when the enemy was specifically a flyer.
I’d thought.... for sure.... Stasis. But....
His projectiles were moving too fast. Difficult to lock onto. And even if I could.... what would I be able to do with them?
And as for him....
I did manage to lock him in the air once—but the charm never holds very long for creatures so powerful.... And I didn’t want to face him too long, lest I got shot.
I wanted to keep moving.
I wanted to be evasive.
So did Owa Daim, apparently.
What was I supposed to do?
Owa Daim....?
I just ran to avoid his projectiles.... and when he took especially great affront at my retaliations and gained a second wind, I just ran to avoid the new, strange flying drones he conjured—these ones came at you four or five at a time!
I just ran.
Maybe if I’d stopped to think.... But I didn’t.
I only noted that Windblight Ganon continued to take damage from my Bomb Arrows.
And so.... I just stuck with what worked.
And I fought.
Maybe there was a more elegant solution, but....
I never found it.
I just pelted him with Bomb Arrows.
I didn’t even remember to use one of my many Lynel Bows. Just the Royal Bow that was already in my hands.
And I killed him.
I defeated Windblight Ganon, and it suffered an inglorious demise against a boy with a paraglider and a common bow. And a Rusty Shield.
Even so, I felt I should have been cleverer than this....
What was I supposed to have done, Owa Daim?

No comments:

Post a Comment