For clarification, spoiler avoidance, or if you're just new here, CLICK BELOW for the first post:

Breath of the Wild ~ a Log / CONTENTS [[+Artwork]]

Friday, May 12, 2023

Never The End

Evening of Wednesday, June 19, 2019 (comprised of many raw note editings from May 1 through May 10, 2023 that I really hope sound consistent because I left it alone for too long) ~ 5


Never The End







Credits.







It was really the Credits.


The game was done.


The game.... was done.



I let them wash over me.



And as they rolled, Mom asked, “Are there going to be any more Zelda games?”

Ah-heh, well.... I knew just the thing to show her.

But for whatever reason I kept it inside and only probed what she knew....

“Why do you ask?” I said, letting just a little tightness into my voice, and wondering what she suspected.

“I don’t want you to commit suicide.”






Oh.


Oh Mom


I don’t remember if—I don’t think I responded, but only.... went back into the credits.

We were looking at the pictures, and I was identifying them.... And I saw the American’s name! Wow! He was one of only two programmers for the wildlife! They did such a wonderful job. ^_^ And I was so happy for him for going so far to follow his dream....


....


Mom.


....


I guess if someone who loves you sees you wounded, and hears you name your salve, even in dark jesting.... they don’t forget it easy.

I don’t even know if the cure is real or psychosomatic.

Maybe it doesn’t matter.



These were the most relaxing credits I had ever seen in my life. At least, that I could think of just then. Slow through the serene iterations of familiar musics.

I gave a little cheer at the name of Eiji Aonuma! And did some up-and-down worshipful bowing from the couch. Mom laughed.

And I gave another at Shigeru Miyamoto!

And at.... Satoru Iwata.

I told Mom that he’d passed away.

Still glad to see his name in this beautiful game.



The Legend of Zelda ~ Breath of the Wild

Copyright 2017

Or some such words.


This last segment came to a stop and hung still in the middle of the screen.


2017.

Two years ago.

I can still remember standing in the cold outside the GameStop. I was first in line. And that employee with the glasses and the handsomely-trimmed scruff had been so friendly. Despite that he almost forgot to give me my amiibos as well.... See the preorder receipt.... ?


It’d been a long journey.


The serene credits finished into a breathless black.





And then.... the Castle....

I had never seen it so still and sunlit before.

Birds even chirped.


Zelda and I stood before the ruined gates in the sunlight. I in my blue Champion’s Tunic, she still in her beautiful White Dress.

The malice was gone.

And the Castle was in ruins.

But.... it was quiet now.

It was at peace.



We looked on it.... and then turned our backs to go.


....as high above among the spires, the spirits of the Four Champions.... and lastly of Her Father....

                                                                                    ....departed from this world.



Seeming to sense something, Zelda stopped and looked back.

So did I—


A blue breeze was blowing through the air....


The sky was full of Silent Princess petals.



But the Princess only gazed up at her once home, the sun beyond beaming it into a silhouette.... into a line.... into a memory....



The Piano that had softly accompanied us, having had no real aim for the spotlight anymore, now turned the final notes of its wanderings to the familiar ascending Theme of Legend, as the view arced up into the blue, blue sky....





The End







But it wasn’t.





We were on a hillside. Zelda and I.

Somewhere southeast of the castle, seemed like....

Zelda once again wore the blue tunic and dark trousers in which she had so often traveled in my memories. Boots and all. She held the Sheikah Slate in her hands.

“We’ll make our way to Zora’s Domain. Divine Beast Vah Ruta...looks like it stopped working. Let’s investigate the situation.”

There was something there, I thought. Something in that last sentence. A kind of spark.

The Princess was still a nerd.

And confident, and brilliant, and determined.

She was going to make it.


But her glittering eyes softened after a moment, and she looked up.

“Mipha’s father...” she murmured, “I believe he would like to hear more about her. The least we can do is visit him and offer him some closure.”


The Piano and the Pipe courted about the hillside on the simple Hero’s Theme, as the sun shone so brightly on the rolling grass.


“Although Ganon is gone for now, there is still so much more for us to do.”


Some clouds still rolled between, though.


“And so many painful memories that we must bear.”


The Princess took a few steps forward down the hill, standing confidently.


“I believe in my heart, that if all of us work together... we can restore Hyrule to its former glory. Perhaps...even beyond.” Right on that hopeful secondary dominant, Pipe, you dastardly genius.... “But it all must start with us,” Zelda finished.


The dancing pair on the grass invited the rest of the Orchestra to the theme.


“Let’s be off,” Zelda said. And started walking straightaway.

Like she did.

And.... I followed. That gilded sheath still bearing the Master Sword on my back.


Ah.... our horses. Grazing higher up the hill.

And hers so white—was that Memory she was riding, then?

It suited her.

....

It suited them both.


Zelda came near to them, but.... stopped before she got there.


I was once again faced, as I had been many times before, by only her unreadable, lovely blonde mane of hair....

It wasn’t long before she spoke.


“I can no longer hear the voice within the sword,” she halted again.


I knew that she had yearned for some connection, some awakening. To lose it again....


“I suppose it would make sense if my power had dwindled over the past 100 years...”


Princess Zelda turned then and looked at me, and even the Orchestra took pause.

The wells of her eyes ran for a thousand miles and looked.... tired of it.

But she allowed the sorrow only a moment’s heaviness on her gaze before softly blinking it away with a little turn.

“I’m surprised to admit it...” she started, and something else shaped her lips now. Something brighter, as she faced me directly. “But you know? I think I’m all right with that,” she said.... and smiled.


And the Deku Tree was right.


She did have a smile like the sun.


And I jogged just a few paces to come even with her, and follow her to the horses, as the camera swept back from the beautiful, sunlit hillside, up the slope to where the Silent Princess flowers grew all over, in the lofty heights overlooking the ruggedly beautiful kingdom of Hyrule.





The End










.....


There’s a star by my last save file.


....


I’ma look at it.


2 Spirit Orbs


118 Shrines


534 Koroks


2089 Rupees


In the castle.


And I have the pictograph of Ganon’s butt.


So.


Do I go seek shrines from here?


Or from a previous save?


If I wish to maintain this choice....


I cannot move.


....


Hm.


I quit for now.


.... Soon.


If I were to go back to a previous save, wherein I had not beaten the game yet....


That would do no justice to the adventure I just completed.


.... I feel as though I faced the same thing in.... Skyward Sword.... somewhere....


Yes. I quit for now.



....


I’m still short two shrines.


But.... should I say....


You know?


I think I’m all right with that.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment