For clarification, spoiler avoidance, or if you're just new here, CLICK BELOW for the first post:

Breath of the Wild ~ a Log / CONTENTS [[+Artwork]]

Friday, May 12, 2023

Shrine Out Of Time 1.2 - One Day In Kakariko

Saturday, February 1, 2020 (comprised of semi-raw note editings from April 24 through April 28, 2023 that I really hope sound consistent because I left it alone for too long)


Shrine Out Of Time 1.2 - One Day In Kakariko


Hackeysack.

I was feeling like a hackeysack. That much I remember.

I felt like I was being kicked from boot, to boot, to boot, when all I wanted was to finally be allowed to grind my face into the pavement and die already.

I made a choice then. That much I remember, too.

I chose to not record.... whatever it was. No. whatever they were. For there were many things. I remember.

Me! The journaling fiend?

I remember deciding I did not want to tote along that kind of negativity with me.

There are holes in my journal and I’ve been only slightly infuriated with myself ever since. Is oblivion not worse than mere remembered evil?

....

Well, I succeeded in my goal; I really haven’t toted whatever it was along with me.

I’ve forgotten.

....

I hate forgetting.

....

What glimpses can I recall? I didn’t like any of the horizons I could see at my job.... Had my computer’s graphics processing unit malfunctioned by this time? Had Adobe yet subsequently revoked my CS6 license after I fixed it? The update had put me on the Catalina operating system—iTunes couldn’t play on Catalina. No more music; not even that cleansing escape. Not even that cleansing escape. When did the security doors go up? I couldn’t even see the birds out the window anymore, now they were so pixelated by the new screens. Too many doors, too many locks, no easy going outside anymore. The one brother who always came to me for such ready and available music theory help would not now help me in my time of deepest and most desperate need with simple sound balancing, at which he was just as much or more a swift expert—I was on a time limit. Was anything else of mine broken or ruined by my visiting family at that time? How many times had that happened?


This is making me really depressed. Not good for trying to get myself to write, to log, to flesh all the rest of these notes out quickly before Tears of the Kingdom comes out.

I am trying.

[ --- ], I am trying so hard.


It felt like my whole world was shrinking.

There must be more. I know there’s more. Ugh. Maybe I was right. Maybe I should just honor the choice I made before.... however infuriating I find the results now....


Not like me....

Not like me at all.... to banish information from the Record....


Where was I?

I was in Hell.

But I could use this crack in time right now.... for a little more Breath of the Wild....


There had been buzzkill. But no more.

Doing the thing bloody properly, now....


All right. It was right after five in the morning.

I was going to go see what Cado and Dorian were all up ons about....

“New clothes! Cute outfits!” Lasli shouted at me as I strode up the thoroughfare once more. But I was far too focused to pay her any mind. Let’s see....

“Who did this?” said Cado.

“I can’t believe this,” Dorian murmured in kind.

I approached them....

Cado?

“Link. We were standing guard the whole time, and yet this awful thing still happened. How could we have let someone sneak right past us?”

Dorian....

“Someone snuck in and stole Lady Paya’s most prized possession...”

Lady Paya, was it?

Dorian continued, “I’m sure Lady Paya would feel a little more at ease if she saw Master Link’s face.”

....I supposed she was of a good and noble stock after all.

I climbed up the steps to see....

Actually—

I was still dressed in my sneaky clothes.

....

.... Lemme change....

....

Okay, Champion’s Tunic and some Amber Earrings. And Hylian Trousers. Very good.

Now....

I walked into Impa’s house just after 5:30 in the morning.

“This is awful...” Paya was crying on the dark wood floor.

Paya, what is it?

Link...” she raised her face from her hands and looked at me. “I swear I only took my eyes off it for a second!”

I looked and Oh my.... The Orb is gone!

“What should I... What should I do?” Paya shivered.

My choices: “What’s wrong?” or “Keep your chin up.”

I’d say.... I’d just ask what’s wrong.

“The Sheikah heirloom...” Paya whimpered, “The heirloom has been stolen!” As the camera zoomed in to the now vacant cushion.

“And just when I had finally discovered the heirloom’s secret...” Paya went on.

Oh really! Now I am legitimately intrigued....

She broke down into tears.... still kneeling before the spot where the orb used to be....

Impa spoke up: ““The hero, as chosen by the Sheikah heriloom, will be gifted the blessing of antiquity.”

That was a lotta red text.

“Paya thinks “The hero, as chosen by the Sheikah heirloom” is you, so she stayed up all night researching the heirloom.”

The younger woman continued to cry into her palms as Impa went on, “She came to the conclusion that “the blessing of antiquity” refers to one of those ancient shrines. And that the heirloom is the key that opens the shrine. And just before we were able to tell you this, the thing is stolen!”

“I had been cleaning the heirloom regularly every day from morning to dusk,” Paya piped up.

Now that is devotion.

Oh, she is hiccoughing with sobs, the poor girl....

“Someone must have stolen it during the deepest hour of the night,” she went on.

And it wasn’t me, dang it.

“This place is off-limits to outsiders... And no one from the village would do such a thing! Would they?” she added disbelievingly.


The Stolen Heirloom quest banner gleamed across the screen. Shrine quest! Excellent.


Paya continued, “Someone with evil intent came into this sacred place. I’m glad Grandmother is safe, but I still feel so...violated.”

Oh poor Paya....


I.... I know how you feel, Paya.

I know.

.... I’m experiencing a slight shift of.... shift of....

....


Don’t worry, Paya.


She buried her face in her hands again.

And with a heavy sigh I had not heard before, Impa chimed in again, “Link... Paya is afraid that the thief may still be nearby. Would you please stay by her side today?”

Of course I would.

And I nodded.


Blackout.


The scene faded back in and Paya and I were in her upstairs room. It seemed.... mistier. A ghostly haze.

I supposed the day must have passed.

She sighed in an easier tone than she had downstairs earlier.

“Master Link... Thank you for staying by my side for the whole day.”

Of course, Paya. :)

“I see now that crying and feeling scared won’t help us get the heirloom back.”

Heh, they didn’t help me much with Guardians either. It’s okay.

“I checked with Dorian and Cado, but they said they didn’t see anyone other than villagers around,” Paya supplied, “I’ll try again to remember all I can about the night the heirloom was stolen, but the thief may still be hiding nearby.”

And then, “I have a bad feeling. If you spot any suspicious movement at night, don’t approach...”

Now that I can’t promise, Paya....

And the cutscene released me.

What time was it?

It was 7:05 pm.

Hm....

I’d spent the day with Paya.

Now night was falling....

....

Papa’s got some hunting to do....


Cado and Dorian only let known villagers in....

They said the only people who’d stopped by yesterday were Lasli and Mellie. Lasli from the clothing shop and Grandma Mellie from the plum garden. In blue font....

Cado said they usually came by during the day, but they’d recently started coming at night?

In my mind I had thought a Yiga, but....

A villager? Really?

Lasli? To whom I brought those fireflies?

....


Let’s go see....


I ran to Lasli before she could close up shop.

“We’re open every day! Prepare to be...Enchanted!”

“Nighttime activities?” I asked. The new dialogue option was certainly to the point!

“Excuse me?” Oh she had a wicked grimace on her pretty face now.... “It’s none of your business what I do at night!”

Goodness.

“Maybe think about finding a new pick-up line,” she growled!


And I could get nothing more from her.


....


What a turn from that pretty face among the fireflies’ glow.


....


I ran around.

Where was the plum garden? No, not that Grandma, that’s Nanna. From Lasli’s house.

Ran around some more, went a bit down the hill—there was an elderly person! I paraglided down....

She exclamation pointed just as I—no, just before I landed.

“Who’s there?!” she started at my approach. And then as she saw me clearly, “Hmph... Following a weak, old woman around like some kind of creepy delinquent!”

Really now.

....

Wait had I ever.... spoken to this woman before? Why don’t I remember your name as well as I remember those of the other villagers, Mellie? Mmm could be coincidence....

“Are you into older women or something?”

Are you a cougar?

“Well, there’s nothing wrong with that... but I’m married to a fightin’ man, I’ll have you know!”

And the dialogue ended.

I wasn’t interested in a married woman, Mellie.

....

Hmmm.

I wondered.... about the pedestal in the woods.... I could go check and see if anything had changed....

No but I’d just....

I’d just talk to Mellie once more first....

“I can tell you’re into older women,” she said, “but I’m married. Give it up.”

Okay, she really didn’t have anything else to say.

And Lasli?

....said the same thing she said last time.

But then nine o’clock struck, and she started to move. No longer the daily clappercaller.

“Any minute now,” I heard her mutter. Huh....

I spoke to her again. “What?” she said, or something like it. Then, under her breath, “Is this guy some kind of stalker? He’s a stalker! I’m being stalked! So this is what it’s like... I guess I’ll have to visit him later.”

Him? Who’s him?

She raised her voice to full volume again: “It... It sure is dangerous to be out alone at night, huh? Maybe I’ll just...head back to the shop.”

Why, if your shift is over?

Hmmm...


These two women were sneaking around at night!


I snuck up on Lasli again.

“Who’s there?” she jolted, “Is someone following me? If you’re following me, Jarod... I told you it’s over between us! So stop following me!”

Jarod?

Lasli then went back to the shop.... Going to start over I reckoned.... She’d been heading for the graveyard.... Maybe I’d follow her this time... Or precede her....


It was kind of like following that Korok.... back in the woods....


When Lasli finally came to a standstill in the graveyard, she seemed to be praying before a gravestone....

Huhhhh dare I interrupt her?

....

Yes.

AHHHH!” she shrieked.

And then after a frozen second, “I guess I can’t keep it a secret any longer,” she moaned. “Not even Claree knows... This is...where the love of my life sleeps. No other guy has been able to stack up.”

Oh.

“He passed a long time ago, but I come here every now and then to be with him.”

My only response was.... “Where’s the heirloom?” Oh gosh....

Heirloom? You mean that thing in Impa’s house?”

And again my only option: “Did you steal it?” So to the point! Too to the point!

“What?!” she asked, but her voice felt.... too coy.... “Why would I steal something like that? Are you... Are you following me because you think I’m a suspect?!”

I just.... nodded.  :|

“How awful of you...” she growled.

And that was.... it.

....

Yeah, that was pretty awful.

....

Hm. Maybe I’d go check out whatever Mellie was up to....

But.... one more try with Lasli....?

“This is where the love of my life sleeps. He got attacked by a monster and... He promised...he would always...protect me...”

That’s actually really sad.... and kind of makes me want to draw....

“So... Did you steal it?” or “Sorry for your loss...” My choices.

....

I would excuse myself.

“Sorry for your loss,” I said. I meant it.

“Thanks, I guess.” As her tone strikes like a viper.

I might be back later.

“But next time, try to be a little more sensitive to people you don’t know.”

Okay, maybe I won’t be back later.

“Everyone has their own issues to deal with.”


True, true....


All right. Now for Mellie.

“What is it you want?” she said when I approached her once again.

“Nighttime activities?” I asked.

“At night?” she blanched.

Yes, Mellie?

“So he knows...” she muttered under her breath, “I didn’t think anyone had seen me.”

Then aloud again, “Nighttime, huh? Well, I sleep at night. In my house. On a bed. That’s about it.”

Ah-huh....

Hm, she had nothing else to say after that.

She’d been standing by the plums and had turned right before I reached her.... Maybe.... she had something more to say, but.... now that she was in transit back to her house again I assumed....

....

Maybe I’ll just go check out the woods....

Wait, no, Mellie had gone back to the plums. What was she on about?

I approached her again.

“So you’re still here...” she said, “There’s only one reason to follow around an old woman in the wee hours of the night...”

And then “HELP! I’M BEING ROBBED!

Wait, no that’s not

“Or maybe you’re just bored. Either way, I’m sick of looking at your mug.”

....

Lasli’s story was better.

Under her breath again, “The sun will be up before I know it. Must hurry...”

What was she doing creeping around at this hour?

I wanted to follow her....

But she wasn’t moving....

....

All right. To the woods then.


Oh. There was someone up here by the shrine. It was a Sheikah.

....And I didn’t know his name.

I readied for trouble, but then saw as I drew closer that oh, no, it was just Olkin. That was okay. All right.

Wait what was Olkin doing up here?

I approached him.

“Oh, have you come up here to look at the castle too? I know the light swirling around it is a manifestation of pure evil, but... it’s kind of beautiful.”

This.... adoration for the unholy put me on edge again. This was Olkin.... right? Olkin was a good guy.... right?

He continued, “Although I’m surprised to see so many people up here tonight. I just saw Dorian run off to the hills back there.”

WHAT.

Stay here, Olkin.

“He seemed like he was in a hurry, so I didn’t get a chance to speak with him.”

I was in a hurry now.

I dashed down the path into the woods.... up the hill to the right....

It was after midnight and kind of windy....

Toward the bridge....

It was past two in fact....

!!

Dorian was at the pedestal!

*gasp!* D8

“I know you’re there! Show yourself!” he growled, drawing his blade....

And—*gasp!* A... a big Yiga Man appeared on the pedestal, with his booming, scoffing laugh! Holding his WindCleaver ready.... “You don’t have to shout. I’m right here.”

Oh no was Dorian.... Wasn’t he the one whose wife....?

“So you’re the ones who stole the heirloom!” Dorian said.

What? How did he know?

“Heh... Such anger,” the Yiga scoffed. “It seems this thing is truly special to the fools of this village.”

Dorian....

“Why would you steal it?” Dorian growled again. The Sheikah was so set and ready, but....

“Don’t play dumb, Dorian.”

He knows his name?

“You knew what you were getting yourself into when you decided to leave the organization.”

*gasp*! What? D8

“You forfeited your life the moment you left.”

Oh my gosh....

Dorian....!

“Hnng...” Dorian grunted....

“You did well to tell us about the heirloom,” the Yigaman continued, “Unfortunately, your usefulness has come to an end, as must you. But first...”

The camera turned.... and that dripping Piano....

“It appears we have an audience!”

Oh, he could see me all right.

I stood boldly in the moonlight.

“FOR MY FALLEN MASTER!” he shouted, and came at me—

Oh boy.... Not on your life, pal....

The Master Sword ran out of juice, but I used an Ice Rod to freeze him.... and then finished him with a ThunderBlade....

And he was gone. Done for.

There were no more of them.

It was all right, Dorian.


Black out and back in....


Dorian and I stood in the clearing. The Heirloom on the ground between us.

“I can’t believe I was being followed,” he said.

Good thing for you that you were.

“I’m sure you’ve figured it out, but all of this is my fault... There’s no point in trying to hide it. I am...a member of the Yiga Clan. Or I used to be, anyway.” He grunted as he said it. It was painful for him to say out loud I could tell.

“But then I met the most incredible woman who blessed me with two amazing children.”

It was you.

“And so I tried to change my ways. Tried to leave the clan. But the Yiga... They took my wife’s life as punishment.”

No....

“I couldn’t let them hurt my children, so I used my position as gatekeeper to gather information for the Yiga.”

Dorian....

“I told them about you and about the village in exchange for safety.”

.... It’s a good thing I’m as strong as I am, Dorian.

“But my grief over losing my wife consumed me, and I finally decided to cut ties with the Yiga completely!” His face was set. “I decided I could protect my children from the Yiga. I wasn’t afraid of them. But the Yiga are pure evil.” He was trembling now, fists clenched. “They told me they would kill both Impa and Paya if I didn’t play along!” The quiet orange radiance of the orb lit up his face like a fire.

“Paya figured out that this heirloom is the key to opening an ancient shrine. We weren’t able to make it work, but Paya thinks that maybe you can. Paya...and all of us are devoted to helping you in your quest.”

Oh Dorian....

“Now, please restore this heirloom to its pedestal.”

....

And I did. Finally, finally able at very long last to lay hands on the thing.... just to walk it a few paces, and set it down in the pedestal’s depression.

....

And up came the shrine....

Dorian jumped back!

“The shrine!” he gasped! “So the heirloom WAS the key to opening the shrine. Incredible...”

His eyes were softer now.

“Master Link, I...”

He looked down and away.

“I’m very sorry for all of this.”

....

“I know it’s a selfish request, but do you think you could keep what really happened a secret?”

Dorian.... Of course I can. :)

“I truly don’t deserve mercy, but I don’t want my children, Koko and Cottla, to suffer anymore.”

I don’t want them to either, Dorian.

“I know it doesn’t make up for what I’ve done, but I pledge to protect the village and my family from now on.”

His eyes were raised once more.

“No matter the cost.”

It matters to me. Just you protect your family, Dorian. You’re a good man.


Fade out....


The Stolen Heirloom – Complete


The Lokna Rokee Shrine.

I knew it.


~


Dorian was gone.


I went to see to the shrine....


Ah, and that activation sound was even brighter and stronger than I remembered it....

Lokna Rokee’s Blessing.

And when I came out....

The sun was rising.


I paraglided down into the village.... “Dorian?” as I sailed toward Impa’s house. But only Cado populated. “Cado....”

I about-faced and paraglided back a little bit, touched down, ran up the trail... into the house....

Dorian sat on a stool, bent in half sleep maybe, watching over his children as they slumbered....

“Master Link... I’ve had a lot on my mind lately, so it’s been difficult to sleep well. Same for you, I imagine? Well, in any case, you should get some rest at the inn when you’re tired.”

Will do, buddy. :) Take it easy.

Link’s got your back.


~


My dryer stopped back in the woods. I needed to empty it....


~


.... Now a little over 24 [game-] hours later.... back to talk to Paya....


“Oh Master Link....” She sniffed, her poor shoulders drooping.

“Because I wasn’t there...the heirloom... Our precious Sheikah heirloom...”

My only response.... “Actually...” And I gesticulated....

What?!” Paya said, straightening a bit. “Oh... So that means the heirloom... has finally fulfilled its purpose.”

I nodded. :)

“Thank goodness!” she sighed.

Her eyes softened.

“It doesn’t matter how it happened, so long as the object we have guarded preciously for generations... So long as it was able to help you out in some way, I couldn’t be happier!”

Aw, and she was smiling her cute smile. :) She is actually quite a pretty girl.

“I pray that the protection of the gods of old follows you wherever you go...”

Thank you, Paya.


The scene faded out and back in.

Nothing had changed. Paya still stood near the now vacant platform. Impa still sat on her tower of cushions.


And when I turned to Paya again, she told me to take care. <3


Everything was back to normal. :)





Except....

I noticed later, as I looked in my inventories....

My items....

Ugh....

My deepest pantry pocket where I keep all my fruits and vegetables and bugs and monster bits and bobs and firewood....

Augh

It’s all been.... rearranged!

Now the strange and exotic Hearty Durians were first, instead of the pure and basic Apples.... Nutritional value and effectiveness notwithstanding, it just looked so.... so wrong!

8C

It must have happened in the woods, when I groped for something to eat during the fight against the Yiga....

....

But I was far too many saves ahead now.... to change it. And reliving certain things would....

....

Cutscenes viewed often lose their charm.

....

Dang it.


. . . . . . .


I guess.... that’s one way to get over OCD.


Poop.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment