For clarification, spoiler avoidance, or if you're just new here, CLICK BELOW for the first post:

Breath of the Wild ~ a Log / CONTENTS [[+Artwork]]

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

There's Something About Cherry


Waking of Sunday, June 4, 2017 ~ 2



When I first spoke to him, Robbie was skeptical of my identity. It wasn’t until I stripped to the skivvies so he could see my scars that he believed I was the Champion Link. Though the Shrine of Resurrection seemed to have healed many of them over.
It turned out Robbie and Jerrin had a fifty-year age gap between them, and they were married. They also had a son, Granté, whom Jerrin had asked if I’d met anywhere. I said no, but.... hm, maybe he’s that plume-haired Sheikah I see painting around the stables sometimes.... didn’t commit that one’s name to memory....
Jerrin seemed like an upbeat lady—she even did a pretty funny impression of Purah! Striking a pose, doing fancy jazz-hands and grinning, “Check it out!”
Robbie seemed very pragmatic, and quite the go-getter. Talked about defeating the Calamity as if it were a difficult shopping trip I’d be taking on the very next day.
Well, I appreciated his optimism. And expectation.
And then there was Cherry.
Cherry was actually the first thing I had seen upon entering the Akkala Ancient Tech Lab. It was that big pot-bellied machine. Kind of a dark, grey-green-bronzy color with Shrine-blue highlights.
I learned Cherry was named after Robbie’s first love, and that if Jerrin ever heard Robbie call it that, she would start yelling and throwing things. And so Robbie had taken instead to calling it simply “The Ancient Oven” or something like that.
The only problem was that the laboratory’s furnace wasn’t lit, and so Cherry wasn’t functioning.
Which meant it was time for me to take a walk.
Akkala seemed a pretty hilly place.
Well.... most places in Hyrule seemed like pretty hilly places.
But this instance was just ridiculous.
I’d gotten outside and found a clear spot where I could take a look around (there were so many trees). And there I could finally see the burning blue of the Ancient Furnace on a nearby hill to the west—that was the fire that could get Cherry up and running. And as I moved toward it, nearing the edge of the hilltop where the Tech Lab was, the parallax of the geology revealed a little dip in the land between the two hills . . . . no, a dell . . . . no, a gorge . . . . no, it was . . . .
I came to the edge of my hilltop and looked down. A river ran way down at the bottom of a huge chasm between me and where I wanted to go.
“What,” I said, and looked at my map.
That was a lot of topo lines.
There were no high bits connecting the two hills, and their inward-facing sides were sheer; it was like a miniature Dueling Peaks. To get from one to the other, I would have to pick a trail, north or south, and descend down almost to the level of the river in a wide arc.
Robbie had a torch in his house, but I didn’t want to drop any of my weapons to switch out. There were a lot of Moblins down there.... Maybe I could just steal one of their clubs whenever the spear I was using gave out. Or find a tree branch. There was no shortage of trees.
This fetchquest was a bit more.... involved than the one at Hateno Village had been. The land was so folded and twisted, I decided on my way to the western hilltop to mark the positions of the intervening lanterns between the Furnace and the Tech Lab. And then there were all those Moblins.... and Keese.... and Stalthings.... Ugh, the road was peppered with them.
And on the way back to the lab I wished I’d grabbed Robbie’s torch! I should’ve known Moblin Clubs weren’t meant to stay lit for long. Or tree branches for that matter. But I made do.
Except when it rained. Then there was nothing for it but to wait it out near the last-lit lantern, and beat up any monsters that got too close.
During one long shower I actually decided to go a bit ahead and clear up some of the Moblins in my way. One of them I took out playing Bomb-Golf, but the other....
Well, I tried bombs again, but I guess I was too close. I dropped it in the grass and backed up, waiting for him to approach.
And oh, he approached all right, and just as I was about to detonate, he kicked the bomb back in my face!
My finger was already going down on the button!
Ja Baij doesn’t distinguish between friend or foe.
Ja Baij just makes stuff splode.
I took the blast right in the face—I think the Moblin caught some of it too—and corkscrewed back through the air in a sailing arc to land in the wet grass and roll to a stop.
“Oh man!” Ben laughed.
I laughed too. Impressive....
Freakin’ Moblin.
I got back up and let him have it with the sword instead, and he went down.
Finally the rain cleared up and I was able to carry on from the lanterns, and light Robbie’s furnace with the ancient flame, so that inside the laboratory, Cherry the Ancient Oven powered up.
It seemed Cherry had the ability to forge Ancient Materials. 8D
But they were a little expensive. :c
Cherry needed ancient parts to start with, and Robbie needed rupees. They needed the funds to continue their important research! he insisted.
I looked at what all Cherry could offer me.... Ancient Arrows, Ancient Spears, Ancient Swords.... weapons.... shields....
But I could feel how impermanent everything was.... That was a lot of rupees for something that wouldn’t last forev—
Ancient Cuirass?
Why that was.... that was armor. Ancient Armor.
And there was a helm and some greaves to go with it!
And they had a resistance to Guardians!
Cherry could make Ancient Armor.
That wouldn’t be so impermanent! :D
The armor pieces were still deucedly expensive, though. At least a thousand rupees a piece, plus more ancient cores and ancient gears than seemed possible to acquire and still go to bed happy.

Which gave me another horrible feeling deep in my gut . . . .

Cherry in essence seemed to function like a shop. A merchant.
She required both money and materials in exchange for her wares.
Those materials . . . . Ancient Materials . . . . came from Guardians.
Cherry didn’t seem to have a limit to the number of items she could forge.
Which meant . . . .
The game . . . . surely had to provide allowances for the player: No limit likewise to the number of Ancient Materials to be collected.
Which MEANT . . . .
Ancient Materials had to be harvested from somewhere. Indefinitely.

My Guardian-Slayer heart still fluttered high, and wanted to stay there.
But I couldn’t help but feel an inescapable premonition about the next Blood Moon . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment