For clarification, spoiler avoidance, or if you're just new here, CLICK BELOW for the first post:

Breath of the Wild ~ a Log / CONTENTS [[+Artwork]]

Thursday, October 5, 2017

Thing Under The Mountain


Waking of Saturday, May 27, 2017 ~ 5


I took my time surveying my surroundings from the top of the Akkala Tower. That first Akkalan shrine I had come to, surrounded by wolves, stood on a red plateau far to the east on the other side of a marshy wetland.
A couple of lower cliffs stood just on this side of it. One of them was strangely-shaped, looking more like a smaller, separate plateau, isolated but for a single, thin, somewhat curved ridge of red earth connecting it to the larger plateau. The other cliff was.... just a cliff. A small wood grew upon it, with a little pond at its heart.
“You didn’t go there?” David asked as we looked at my new map.
“No.”
“Look at it!”
I scoped it.
“What does it look like?”
“....DAY-VIIID!” I griped, and pretended I hadn’t seen.

You know, all in all, he’s really . . . . really fantastic about keeping me unspoiled. From what I gather, it’s been somewhat maddeningly difficult for him at times.
I’m sure I’ll understand someday.
And then I will read the aforetyped line and gawp at my own inadvertent cruelty to him, I am quite sure.

I stayed up on top of the tower as the sun sank lower, viewing my surroundings until after dark. And, as it happened, in the dimness I caught sight of another orange glow to the east:
That little wood on the cliff.
Springing up in the midst of the trees was a number of large, very tall, bright orange toadstools.
(So I could say.... I would have caught sight of it then, anyway. That could excuse and alleviate the spoilage a bit.)
I knew what those mushrooms were. There was only one other place I’d ever seen mushrooms grow like that

The Fairy Fountain.

Now that was some good fortune. <3
The Road to Robbie was also in that general direction, so I decided to jump for it, and paraglide back east.
It was also partly at David’s insistence—he said he had paraglided to that Wolf Shrine from this Sheikah Tower. Wanted me to do it too, I guess. It was raining when I did, and the grey-green haze of it swallowed me up until I seemed simply to rush through a great dark cloud of dust and wind.
“This is exactly where I was, when you saw me in that place with a lot of wind. It was raining then, too,” said David, referencing a time I’d taken an accidental glance at his screen.
“I thought you were on solid ground then,” I said. It had looked like a desert or something. Daytime colors maybe.
My rain cleared up pretty quick, though, and I looked down in the pre-dawn pink to see the whole expansive wetland below me. And two loose Guardian Stalkers creeping about. “Whoa,” we both said.
And for some reason I didn’t pay attention to my stamina wheel until it was on its last gasping splinter of red and then . . . .
Well I fell out of the sky.
I plummeted below the red cliffs. “Okay I have a better idea,” I said, and looked at my Sheikah Slate. I mapped over to the Wolf shrine, and concluded my journey to it via the warp pad.
Hoped my momentum wouldnt carry over....
It didn’t.
Once I was clear of the wolves, I had a lovely distracting time with a couple of mounted Bokoblins—one of whom I finally got to try out my new tricked out Stasis ability on!
I stopped him in midair as his horse galloped out from between his legs!
And then I walloped him right out of the sky like a big lumpy golf ball! Man, that guy FLEW when the Stasis let go!
And then I ran after him to finish the job AND HE RAN AWAY FROM ME!
I had never seen them retreat before. O__O
I was feeling pretty awesome! >:D
I chased him up a hill to the east and was further distracted by my shrine-locator’s beeping.... Ah, what the hey! I figured. I’ll just go and grab another shrine!
But chase down the signal as I might, I couldn’t see a shrine anywhere.... It sounded so close....
It was in a strange land of deep crevasses and gushing jets of air from cracks in the earth—made for great updrafts, really. I started on top of the hill where the beeping indicated the shrine should have been, and started a spiraling trail down around its sides—perhaps there was some cave....
There was. But I had to hike and glide quite far away to see it. Because it was set into a sheer cliff face beneath the hill, shadowed by an overhang of stone, with no footpaths to reach it, flanked on all sides by the open atmosphere of an immense chasm, and blocked off at its mouth by a wall of crumbling stone. I could see the shrine’s orange glow between the cracks....
Well.
I tried dropping bombs from the hill above.
No good.
I tried Bomb-Golfing from the other side.
Came up short.
I tentatively tried a precious Bomb Arrow.
Got.... nothing? Oh dear....
An inordinate number of large boulders lay scattered everywhere in this strange pit-mine of a place. Some of them were magnetizable....
David told me to take care, though. He said he’d seen places where lots of boulders like this meant ammunition for nearby Flying Guardians.
I kept my eyes open....
I tried Magnesising a makeshift battering-ram.
Couldn’t reach.
I tried Stasising a regular boulder and whacking it up to send a flying bombardment....! But I hit it too hard and missed.
It would take a lot of careful effort to maneuver another boulder over here to the edge....
And then “Wait a second!” I shouted. “It was raining before! Let me try another Bomb Arrow!”
And I nocked it, and it sparked and fizzed as the other one never had! I let fly and BOOM! Hole-in-the-Rock!
After that it was a matter of gaining enough altitude to paraglide in. I ended up on the cliff face beneath anyway, but not by much. It was a slightly startling scramble to climb up to the lip however, as it started to rain again just then. But perhaps I needn’t have worried—there was still that giant stone overhang above. Maybe it kept the cliff beneath it dry.
And what happiness was this! My extra Bomb Arrow was still there! :D It must have sailed right in through the cracks between the rocks! Lucky! 8D
The shrine contained another Modest Test of Strength, and I conquered it.
I tend to go through a lot of specialty arrows in those kind. “You don’t mess around!” David said as I pummeled the resident Guardian with most of the rest of my Bomb Arrows....

No comments:

Post a Comment