For clarification, spoiler avoidance, or if you're just new here, CLICK BELOW for the first post:

Breath of the Wild ~ a Log / CONTENTS [[+Artwork]]

Tuesday, January 8, 2019

When Lightning Strikes


Waking of Saturday, October 13, 2018 ~ 2



I felt the nearness of my journey’s end. There was only one Divine Beast left. And I didn’t want any more blank patches when I faced it. If I was coming full circle, that circle had to be full.
It was time to fill in my map.
It was time to venture into the jungles of Faron.

I traveled by horse this time, deciding to give Brown some riding time; he’d done such a good job. We headed out from the Highland Stable, into Faron Woods, traveling slowly. Even on the road, and with a horse, I still preferred a cautious church mouse’s pace.
We found ourselves crossing paths multiple times with one Chumin, a vendor, and his donkey. He looked cool in his vest and shorts and said he hailed from Lurelin Village—that habitation I’d heard tell of around here before. His attire made it seem.... like a laid-back kind of place. Maybe it was a beach town....
We met a few other people along the way, Meeshy, and someone called Totsuna.... And....
An “Oh noooo!” floated to me from over a hill. I dismounted and ran, and found two Black Bokoblins, one of them beating up.... Tye!
I saw it pummeling him against the thick trunk of a tree; I saw him take hits—
What it does to a hero’s heart.
I killed it! And ran. Sorelia was down. I killed that one too!
And they were safe and ran to each other to huddle together like they do.
Those two....
It was a long way through the jungle, with many detours, a good deal of Koroks, and a nigh unplumbable heckton of mysterious ruins, towers and treasures. But after an age of walking the road beneath a downpour of thundery weather, we made it to the Lakeside Stable.
And dang that Shai Utoh Shrine behind the stable was a head-cracker!
I decided to board Brown. He’d had some good exercise, but.... I really preferred to travel on foot. There were still a few resident Koroks to chase, and they led me out from the rattling jungle and toward the overlook—and a Floria Bridge.
Floria? I wondered.... And I walked further, and—the name flashed across the screen.
IT IS LAKE FLORIA, I realized.
The Ancient Lake Floria....
I had.... kind of heard it was here.
But discovering it was still cool nonetheless.
I crossed Floria Bridge as the rain still hammered the world, and dang Farosh was just.... this was just his playground or something. For the first time from this low angle, I saw him swoop over the watery valley. He came quite close to the bridge, as did his attendant aura of ball lightning.
This place was hazardous.
Fortunately I still carried the Thunder Helm. But I made it to the other side of the bridge without incident.
And my shrine-locator started going off again.
One of the stablehands had said there was something strange on top of the waterfalls on this side of the bridge....
The road was so long, the Koroks so plentiful, the enemies so insistent, and my pace so slow. The distance was mounting in my mind and I wondered where this path would even take me. But I received some assurance from one Letty, who looked like a Sheikah girl in Hylian clothes, that Lurelin Village was indeed this way.
I was way off my map.
Hmm, maybe I should have gone for the tower, first....
I continued. My shrine detector was still brreep-brreeping; I was sure it must have been on top of the tall cliffs to my left. But there was no getting up there in this weather.
And as I continued along the path, with a tremendous rumbling, the sky turned fiercer still.
That was thunder.
OH LIGHTNING! C8
“Uh, you need to—” David started.
BUT I DIDN’T. I’d been waiting for this. I’d switched to metal weapons in the course of my frays, but I was still wearing my Thunder Helm.
I stood still on the path, and my sword and shield spikked and spacked and zapped and crackled!
David watched but I didn’t move!
TESTING.... TESTING.... TESTINNGGG....
Kracka-BOOOOOM LIGHTNING CRASHED DOWN ON ME AND I JUST STOOD THERE IN THE SHAKING EXPLOSION WHILE THE EARTH ERUPTED ALL AROUND ME AND I WAS LEFT STANDING AMIDST THE FLAMES AND UPDRAFTS RISING THROUGH THE FALLING RAIN STANDING SO STILL AND STOIC YET. The Master Sword still in my hand.
“DID YOU SEE THAT?” says I.
“Yeah I did.” He eats cereal.
SO COOL. I LOVE THE THUNDER HELM.

A little further and of a sudden I was out of the jungle and.... in a rather pleasantly sunny little valley between mountains.
But my shrine detector had stopped. Well I couldn’t have that.... I turned back. Where was that shrine? It had to be up on top of those cliffs. The road had skirted around to the right of them.
The little valley was refreshingly open and bright after the pouring din of the jungle. But it was a soggy sunshine. The rain came in patches—the most inconvenient patches! I tried every nook and overhang, took advantage of the highest rises in the ground that I could find, just trying to gain one of the lower steppes, for the cliffs were not sheer.... But always that rain! I COULD NOT CLIMB IN THIS RAIN.
And the blasted Yiga Clansmen hounding my footsteps were no help.
This was ridiculous. I would step away from the cliffs, and the sun would peek through, as if to check on my progress. I would return to the cliffs, and the clouds would just POUR! WHAT!
I looked down the road; the cliffs seemed to give way to a more sloping geography further on. It might be a long jog, but.... their tops seemed to connect to the clifftops back here. And if this blasted rain wasn’t going to let up
Fine! I’d take the long way round.... I ran down the road. I ran for a long way but there was still no sign of this Lurelin Village.... How far away was it? And when the slopes turned gentler I hoofed it up into the hills, cutting my arc as tightly as the land and the rain would allow, passing four-legged bovines along the way—if they could get up here....
I traversed craggy ridges that melded into the tops of red buttes until I had come back toward the waterfalls, where I found.... Kass.
I actually had to paraglide down a butte to reach him. My shrine locator was once again brreeping like mad, and nearby there was a most obtrusive, yellow-cracked mound, standing on the edge of a large drop-off above the lake. Huh.
My gosh, I dared say I must have been at that place the stablehands had pointed out from the other side of the bridge—the place above the waterfalls with the big weird.... thing. This rock formation.
I walked to the edge and scoped into the rainy haze at the distant twinkling lights to check, dropping markers to be sure, for the rain was still too thick to make anything out for certain. And sure enough, that distant glimmer away below the drop-off and more than a few bowshots out was the Lakeside Stable.
Time to see what their mysterious rock formation was about....
“Very impressive,” Kass said, “Not many could make it all the way up here in such rain.”
You’re telling me! I thought.
“Me? I stay nice and dry,” Kass went on, “My feathers repel the rain rather well. And my instrument is designed to withstand extreme moisture.”
Well that was handy. I considered.... If I’d seen a real instrument out in the rain.... even an accordion.... ugh I couldn’t abide such abuse.
“When your living revolves around ancient songs, you’ve got to be prepared for a few raindrops!” He smiled.
Kass sang the song handed down in this region for me. Heh.... I guess he’s kinda like.... Oh what is that guy’s name.... He even has his own -isms! Because he refuses to use the Italian. Is he dead....? Oh, what was it.... I keep thinking Purcell, but it’s not Purcell. That guy is definitely dead. He stayed out too late and his wife wouldn’t let him back in the house and he froze to death.
CONFOUND IT—it’s got a G in it, I’m sure of it.... ohhh.... GRAINGER! PERCY GRAINGER! Auwgh! That kinda sounds like Purcell!
Grainger?
....
Hm, he’s quite a handsome chap. Gads that photo looks old.
....Oh yeah, he’s dead.


I have forgotten more music theory and music history than most people will ever know.


Ah but PRESERVING SONGS HANDED DOWN.... Heh, why is it only now reminding me of Grainger?
I feel a sudden and renewed rush of affection toward Kass. Well done, mate.

AHEM! Where was I?
Kass sang his song for me!

When a lost hero calls down lightning from the sky
The monk responds from a giant mound on high.

Lightning, huh?
Heh.... This was gonna be good....
Through some persistence I was able to climb up on top of the rocky mound, where I re-equipped my metal trappings. (I’d taken them off while talking to Kass, because I didn’t want to inadvertently blow him to smithereens.)
After that I just had to wait for it....
So this was why it kept raining in this area.... NICE.
I waited.... and waited.... until.... snap-crackle-pop.... Kraka-BOOOOOOMmmm!
The mound explodacrumbled beneath my feet while I, the human lightning rod in my Thunder Helm, nonchalantly dropped onto the top of the Qukah Nata Shrine.
This dang shrine had been so hard to get to. I was ready to complete it and save and quit; my body was very tired. But first.... before he depopulated....
“Ah, so there was a shrine inside that crag split by lightning...” Kass said when I returned to him. “The bolt was so ferocious that I worried I might be struck down myself!”
You only weren’t before because I kept you out of danger, Kass!
“I’d say that’s worthy of being immortalized in song. Anyway, may the light shine ever on your path.”
Aw, with his lovely bird-smile with eyes half closed. ^_^
Love that guy.
Okay, let’s do this. I entered the shrine. And happily enough it was a blessing shrine! And inside the treasure chest were—
Rubber Tights?
Gotta say, I hadn’t been expecting that. What the heck....? XD

“These invaluable tights are resistant to electricity. They’re made with something called “rubber,” an ancient technology that no longer exists in this modern age.

WAT.
....
Okay. XD
That was.... very anomalous. It was four Spirit Orbs anyway. I came back out of the shrine and.... it was not.... storming?
The ground and grass still shone with moisture, but the world had opened up, and it was just that plimmering, shining, wetland music.... that happy Piano....

No comments:

Post a Comment